I’m currently sitting in a presentation on the advantages of Linux — specifically Edubuntu for education…
Advantages of Linux– Free and legal
– Extremely stable
– Virus/Spyware free
– Philosophically speaking, allows users to own technology, not just use pre-created tech.
– Thin client manager
– Cost Effective
– Dual booting
– Resurrect old equipment
– RAID-1 backup
Advantages of Ubuntu
– Regular release schedule
– “Linux for human beings” – Harmtan: “I’m working with 5 year olds, here; it’s gotta be easy.”
– Easy LTSP install
– Supportive/Friendly community
4 Steps to Edubuntu
1. Instll second ethernet card
2. Load Edubuntu on server
3. Connect server to thin clients
4. Set BIOS to boot from NIC card — which boots Edubuntu from network. Done.
5-computer MiniLANS allows for cheaper, more flexible implementation.