iOS Apps: Taking the Plunge

I’ve added (and subtracted) enough apps to this ever-changing Prezi to warrant a re-post (previously posted as “50 Apps You’ve [probably] Never Heard Of”). I’ve also changed the format to reflect the fact that many are new to the iOS App scene, while others are old-timers at it, and are looking to expand their usage.  Enjoy!

 

Creativity Fatigue Sets In: iOS and Android Games are Losing Their Edge

There’s been a lot of talk recently about mobile gaming via iOS and Android devices taking over the market, which has been previously dominated by Sony and Nintendo.  Your usual points of evidence include cheaper prices ($.99 vs. $39), ease of installation (install in seconds vs. purchase at store and carry with you), and dual/tri-functionality (phone/app/game vs. game).  Nintendo has stated for the past two years that they not only don’t fear this new trend, but don’t even see it as a competition.  I originally thought this was preposterous posturing, but even as an avid iOS gamer, I’m starting to agree with the Big N. Continue reading

Oh, Dear God…I Was Wrong About the Kinect: An Ode to Child of Eden

I don’t expect that if you’re reading this you’ve read anything else I’ve written.  Assuming that, it would be easy to just pretend like I’ve always loved the Kinect.  That, however, would be a damn dirty lie.  Truth is, I really didn’t think the Kinect would go anywhere.  Boy howdy was I wrong.  I love it.  And, there’s one game that makes the Kinect the best innovation in gaming since the analog stick…Click inside to find out more. Continue reading

How to: Create a Real Life RPG to Keep Kids Busy on Your Next Trip

This past July, we took a week long camping trip to Roswell, New Mexico to visit the UFO Museum and Research Center, as well as explore the different state parks in the area (mainly Bottomless Lakes, which sported some amazing sunken caves).

As with most of our camping trips, we like to schedule 51% of the day hiking, exploring, playing, and the other 49% just sitting (reading, listening to music, napping).  It’s that 49% of the day when our 5 year old typically asks to watch TV or play his DS.  So, to combat this, I created a Real Life Roleplaying Game to keep him busy, both on the road and at the campsite.

Inside, you’ll find complete details of how I did it, what I included, and even a Google Spreadsheet template to get you started!

Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: